The Radon Division ensures public health and safety by increasing public and professional awareness of radon and its health risks by administration of a certification program for radon testing, mitigation and laboratory analysis individuals and firms.
- Robert Lewis, Radon Division Chief
- Radon Division Hotline:
- (800) 237-2366
- (Pennsylvania only)
- Contacting the Radon Division:
- Phone: (717) 783-3594
- Fax: (717) 783-8965
- Click here to email the Radon Division *
- * DO NOT USE THIS ADDRESS FOR SUBMITTING A FORMAL RIGHT TO KNOW LAW REQUEST. INQUIRIES SENT HERE WILL BE HANDLED INFORMALLY. If you are seeking DEP records, please begin your inquiry by clicking here to obtain a request form. You may submit a Right to Know Law request form by e-mail to EP-DEP-RTK@pa.gov
The American Lung Association (ALA) in Pennsylvania and Radon
Free Radon Test Kits still available, while supplies last
The ALA has been a partner with the PA DEP/Radon Division for many years in an effort to increase public awareness of radon, testing for radon, and mitigation of radon problems.
Please see the ALA link below for additional important information on radon and radon test kits. A limited supply is available for Pennsylvania residents who have not yet tested their homes.
EPA Region 3 Radon Stakeholders' Meeting
You are invited to the 2nd Annual Region 3 Radon Stakeholders’ Meeting on Thursday April 11, 2013, held at the Holiday Inn in Martinsburg, West Virginia. The meeting is being held at no cost and is intended to bring together interested parties concerned with protecting the public from unnecessary exposure of radon in homes, schools, public and private buildings.
National Radon Poster Contest
Each year the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Kansas State University co-sponsor the National Radon Poster Contest to encourage students aged 9 to 14 to submit original artwork to be used in radon awareness public service announcements.
The 2012 Contest winners were recently announced. Teachers and adult leaders of participating youth organizations are invited to participate in the upcoming 2012 contest. The artists creating the top three entries were awarded trips to Washington, DC, for a ceremony honoring their work in January 2012.
Rules, eligibility requirements, guidelines and submission forms and instructions are available at the Radon Poster Contest Website.
Update on Perspectives and Recommendations on Indoor Radon
Radiation & Granite Countertops
EPA's Radon Video Contest: Winning Entry
In July 2008, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency asked for 30-60 second video submissions with the theme "Radon: Test, Fix, Save a Life" which encourage Americans to test and fix their homes for radon. The EPA received over 30 entries which you can view online.
The winning entry was "Eddie's Story" by Benjamin Schultz and Michael Gentilini.
Other EPA media campaigns may be found at:
Pennsylvania's Radon-related Statutes and Regulations:
- Radon Certification Act, act of July 9, 1987 (P.L. 238, No. 43), 63 P.S. Sec. 2001-2014 (PDF)
Radiation Protection Act of July 10, 1984 (PL 688, No. 147), 35 PS Sec.
- Administrative Code of 1929, Section 1920-A (71 PS Sec. 510-20)
- The Pennsylvania Code, Title 25 Environmental Protection, Article V Radiological Health, Chapter 240 Radon Certification
- Radon Services Directory
- Lists persons certified to perform radon testing, mitigation and analysis
services. Certification is required by law.
- Radon Test Data by Zip Code for Pennsylvania
- Find radon test averages for Pennsylvania zip codes. To generate a report, click the above link, then enter the zip code and click the 'View Report' button. The test location within the home, number of tests within the zip code, the maximum and average radon test values are all displayed.
- Upcoming Radon Events & Training
- Special Radon Education and Training Opportunities
- Real Estate Guide to Radon in Pennsylvania
- Quick Reference Guide for the Real Estate Professional
- General Radon Information
- Provides some general radon information, what it is, where it comes from.
- The Pennsylvania Radon Story
- The story of how radon came to the limelight in Pennsylvania, written by former Bureau of Radiation Protection Director Thomas M. Gerusky.
- Radon Testing Information
- Read about testing devices, test device placement and testing protocols.
- Radon Mitigation Information
- Look here for information about mitigation and mitigation systems.
- Radon-Resistant New Construction
- An introduction to radon-resistant building design.
- Radon Certification Information
- Gives you a number of ways to verify a person's radon certification.
- Radon in Water
- Water can contribute to your radon concentration. Read how and about proven mitigation methods available for remedy. Includes a list of testers and mitigators for radon in water.
- Certification Corner
- Information for the currently certified radon professional, or those who would like to become certified.
- Radon Public Awareness Outreach Program
- View information about our awareness programs, new-born program and
professional course development program.
- Free Radon Information & Services
- We have radon information and certain testing and mitigation services free for the asking. Check out what we offer here.
- Other States' Radon Programs
- Other Radon Websites
- Assess information the EPA, the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST) and the U.S. Geological Survey have available.
- EPA Radon Publications
- Access the Radon Publications published by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- BEIR VI Report
- Release on 2/19/1998, read the report through this link to EPA.
- BEIR VII Report
- June 2005, Report in Brief. BEIR VII: Health Risks from Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation.
- National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
- Access the voluntary National Radon Proficiency Program homepage for more information about the program.
- National Radon Safety Board
- Acess the NRSB homepage for information.
- Radon Risk Research Papers