Natural/Coal Bed Methane Gas Operations
The department mailed notifications alerting companies involved with natural/coal bed methane gas development in Pennsylvania that they must submit to the agency data on their facilities’ air emissions beginning in 2013. For owners/operators of activities related to unconventional natural gas development activities, well activity data and mid-stream/processing activity data is required. Unconventional natural gas is natural gas from an “unconventional formation” as defined in Act 13 of 2012. For owners/operators of natural/coal bed methane gas development activities not meeting the unconventional definition, only activity data and emission estimates from the mid-stream/processing activity is required. The DEP is not requesting emissions data and source reports from well development activities for traditional gas/coal bed methane wells. The reports are due March 1 of each year.
Each year, the Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) processes approximately
1,200 Annual Emission Statement (AES) reports. The AES contains operating schedules, throughputs, and emission
estimates to calculate air emissions from industrial sources. The
"Instructions For Completing The Annual Emission Inventory
Reporting Forms" contains information about preparing inventory
data, reporting requirements and additional resources.
We currently offer two options for reporting online, or paper forms that you can mail in.
To use either option, you must have an account on the Departments' GreenPort website. If you don't already, please download the form below, complete it, and mail or fax it to the address on the form. You can also email it to the contact below.
Form (PDF, Word)
Contact: Robert Bihl
Division of Air Information
- AES*Online is a secure website introduced in 2004 for online emissions data entry, data validation, and reporting. It offers automatic data validation and error checking, document attachment and notes capabilities, online help, a printable user manual, and a secure submission process. Data is automatically reviewed for completeness, and immediate feedback is provided to ensure a successful submission.
- Use AES*Online if your facility has a personal computer with internet access, and your emissions inventory data is now collected manually or maintained in hardcopy throughout the year. This option is appropriate for all facilities, regardless of the size of their emissions inventories.
- AES*XML is a secure web site introduced in 2005 for completely automated, seamless emissions data reporting using XML (in .xml format). It also offers automatic data validation and error checking, document attachment and notes capabilities, online help, a printable user manual, and a secure submission process. To use AES*XML, the facility user maps their data to the XML specifications provided by BAQ. The resulting dataset is automatically generated as an .xml file with no additional data entry. With a few mouse clicks, the .xml file is uploaded to AES*XML, validated, and submitted to DEP over the internet.
- Use AES*XML if your facilty has a personal computer with internet access, and your emissions inventory data is now collected in database or spreadsheet format. This option is most attractive to facilities with larger emission inventories, particularly those who use an automated, or semi-automated method to collect data, although facilities of any size may participate. You must map your raw data to the XML data set provided by DEP to automatically generate your data in .xml format.
- Blank Reporting Forms for facilities that have not submitted emission inventory
information in previous years are included in the instruction
booklet linked above. Facilities in both Allegheny and Philadelphia counties may not select this option. Custom forms for facilities that have reported emission inventory information
on paper in the previous year are automatically printed and mailed by DEP at the beginning of each year. Please contact your regional office if you don't receive them, or e-mail Robert Bihl or call (717) 772-3950 to request a new set if you wish to change back from electronic reporting.
- Complete the Paper Form of the Annual Emissions Statement and mail it to DEP if your facility does not have a personal computer with internet access.