- Robert Lewis, Radon Division Chief
- Denise Bleiler, Radiation Protection Program Supervisor, Radon Monitoring Section
- Kelley Oberdick, Radiation Protection Program Supervisor, Radon Certification Section
- Radon Division Hotline:
- (800) 237-2366
- (Pennsylvania only)
- Contacting the Radon Division:
- Phone: (717) 783-3594
- Fax: (717) 783-8965
The Radon Division ensures public health and safety by increasing public and professional awareness of radon and its health risks by administration of a certification program for radon testing, mitigation and laboratory analysis individuals and firms.
DEP Reminds Pennsylvanians that January is Radon Action Month
- Elevated Levels of Radon Affect Almost Half of Pennsylvania Homes
- The DEP encourages all homeowners to test their homes for radon and to mitigate their homes when elevated levels are found. The DEP also recommends testing buildings and schools for the presence of radon.
Evaluation of the Performance of Charcoal Laboratories during 2013
- In an effort to provide oversight of the radon industry and to help assure that the citizens of the Commonwealth are receiving accurate radon testing results, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Radiation Protection, Radon Division has recently conducted an evaluation of the performance of the following charcoal laboratories who hold certification in the state of Pennsylvania:
- ABE Radiation Measurements Labs
- Accustar labs-Lebanon
- Accustar labs-Massachusetts
- Air Chek, Inc.
- Alpha Energy Labs, Inc.
- EMSL Analytical, Inc.
- Prosser Laboratories
- Pro-Lab, Radata, Inc.
- TCS Industries, Inc.
- TRC Environmental Corp.
- During this evaluation we used two different test scenarios, one being in the Bowser-Morner radon chamber, and the other being in an employee basement to mimic real life testing conditions. Success in this type of program will help to assure the consumer, lab management, and regulatory agencies that the laboratory is generating accurate and reliable results.
- We are pleased to report that all the above named laboratories have successful passed our evaluation. This type of evaluation is an ongoing process and extends to all the laboratories that hold radon laboratory certification in the state of Pennsylvania.
National Radon Poster Contest
Each year the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Kansas State University co-sponsor the National Radon Poster Contest to encourage students aged 9 to 14 to submit original artwork to be used in radon awareness public service announcements.
The 2013 Poster Contest winners will be announced soon.
Rules, eligibility requirements, guidelines and submission forms and instructions are available at the Radon Poster Contest Website.
Update on Perspectives and Recommendations on Indoor Radon
Radiation & Granite Countertops
EPA's Radon Video Contest: Winning Entry
In July 2008, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency asked for 30-60 second video submissions with the theme "Radon: Test, Fix, Save a Life" which encourage Americans to test and fix their homes for radon. The EPA received over 30 entries which you can view online.
The winning entry was "Eddie's Story" by Benjamin Schultz and Michael Gentilini.
Other EPA media campaigns may be found at:
Pennsylvania's Radon-related Statutes and Regulations:
- Radon Certification Act, act of July 9, 1987 (P.L. 238, No. 43), 63 P.S. Sec. 2001-2014 (PDF)
Radiation Protection Act of July 10, 1984 (PL 688, No. 147), 35 PS Sec.
- Administrative Code of 1929, Section 1920-A (71 PS Sec. 510-20)
- The Pennsylvania Code, Title 25 Environmental Protection, Article V Radiological Health, Chapter 240 Radon Certification
- Radon Services Directory
- Lists persons certified to perform radon testing, mitigation and analysis
services. Certification is required by law.
- Radon Test Data by Zip Code for Pennsylvania
- Find radon test averages for Pennsylvania zip codes. To generate a report, click the above link, then enter the zip code and click the 'View Report' button. The test location within the home, number of tests within the zip code, the maximum and average radon test values are all displayed.
- Upcoming Radon Events & Training
- Special Radon Education and Training Opportunities
- General Radon Information
- Provides some general radon information, what it is, where it comes from.
- Radon Mitigation Information
- Look here for information about mitigation and mitigation systems.
- Radon-Resistant New Construction
- An introduction to radon-resistant building design.
- Certification Corner
- Information for the currently certified radon professional, or those who would like to become certified.
- Free Radon Information & Services
- We have radon information and certain testing and mitigation services free for the asking. Check out what we offer here.
- Other States' Radon Programs
- Other Radon Websites
- Assess information the EPA, the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST) and the U.S. Geological Survey have available.
- EPA Radon Publications
- Access the Radon Publications published by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- BEIR VI Report
- Release on 2/19/1998, read the report through this link to EPA.
- BEIR VII Report
- June 2005, Report in Brief. BEIR VII: Health Risks from Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation.
- National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
- Access the voluntary National Radon Proficiency Program homepage for more information about the program.
- National Radon Safety Board
- Acess the NRSB homepage for information.
- Radon Risk Research Papers