How to Determine My Tester, Mitigator or Lab is Certified
- Radon Services Directory
- Updated July 1, 2014
- Certified Testers:
- Certified Mitigators:
- Certified Laboratories:
Pennsylvania law requires persons performing radon services
(testing, mitigation, and/or laboratory analysis) be certified by the DEP.
- Exceptions to Pennsylvania certification are:
- the owner or occupant of the building, and
- builders (only if the radon services are performed prior to occupancy of the building).
- This directory contains a listing of Pennsylvania-approved:
- certified individuals
- certified firms
- DEP-listed testing firm employees
- All DEP-listed Testing Firm Employees have an ID number in the 8000 series
- DEP-listed mitigation firm employees
- All DEP-listed Mitigation Firm Employees have an ID number in the 7000 series
The coding description for the different types of radon test devices is listed below.
||Electret Ion Chamber
||Alpha Track Detector
||Continuous Working Level Monitor
||Continuous Radon Monitor
- NOTE: Since certification status may change, BRP updates these lists monthly. To verify certification, check for a current DEP ID Card and/or certification certificate. If you have any questions, please call BRP at 800-237-2366 or 717-783-3594.
Types of Certification
- TESTING — The certification required for any of the following:
- placing and retrieving of any radon testing devices or
- analysis of the tester's own continuous monitors or E-Perm electret ion chambers.
- MITIGATION — The certification required for any repair or altering of a building or building design for the purpose, in whole or in part, of reducing the concentration of radon in the indoor atmosphere.
- LABORATORY — The certification required for any person who analyzes radon devices received from the public or from certified testers.
Categories of Certification
The three types of certification—testing, mitigation, and laboratory—are further divided into the following categories:
- INDIVIDUAL CERTIFICATION
- Under this category of certification, only the certified individual may perform the radon-related activity.
- Radon certification as an "individual" results in only the given name of the individual being listed on the certification certificate and in the attached Radon Services Directory.
- FIRM CERTIFICATION
- A firm must employ at least one certified individual who is certified for the appropriate radon-related activity and who is in responsible charge of that radon-related activity for that firm.
- DEP LISTED TESTING FIRM EMPLOYEE
- In addition to the certified individual, any employees of a certified testing firm who perform radon testing activities must be listed with the Department.
- Testing Firm Employees may place and retrieve testing devices under the general supervision of a certified radon testing individual in responsible charge of a testing firm.
- A Testing Firm Employee will have an ID number in the 8000 series.
- DEP LISTED MITIGATION FIRM EMPLOYEE
- In addition to the certified individual, any employees of a certified mitigation firm who perform radon mitigation activities must be listed with the Department.
- Mitigation Firm Employees may perform mitigation activities under the general supervision of a certified mitigation individual in responsible charge of a mitigation firm.
- A Mitigation Firm Employee will have an ID number in the 7000 series.