Help Solve the Solid Waste Problem in Your Organization
Basic Standards for Designing a Recycling Program
HOW YOU CAN HELP SOLVE SOLID WASTE PROBLEMS IN YOUR BUSINESS
- Take a public stand against waste and pollution. Adopt a corporate policy that waste reduction, reuse and recycling are preferable to waste disposal, incineration or treatment.
- Set a positive tone for corporate waste reduction, reuse and recycling.
- Assist in selecting an appropriate waste reduction and recycling program for the company.
- Ensure an adequate budget and staff to execute the program.
- Provide high visibility for recycling programs.
- Provide incentives for various corporate subdivisions to cooperate with the program.
- Provide incentives to encourage employees to participate in your waste reduction and recycling program.
- Give rewards to employees for waste reduction and recycling efforts.
- Give recognition, bonuses, or other financial awards to employees who offer innovative approaches to waste reduction and recycling.
- Document your company's waste reduction and recycling accomplishments.
- Document your company's waste reduction and recycling cost savings. Consider the true cost of a product in cost accounting (Avoided Cost + Real Cost = Actual Savings). Avoided costs are often difficult to quantify, but including them will provide a truer financial picture.
- Stimulate development and use of products that result in reduced waste.
- Promote development and expansion of markets for recyclables by closing the loop, and Buying Recycled.