Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Environmental Protection
Office of Mineral Resources Management
The Reclamation Clearinghouse, being developed as part of the Reclaim PA effort, will be a storehouse of information related to reclamation of abandoned mine lands and abandoned oil and gas wells in Pennsylvania. The purpose of the Clearinghouse is to provide information to parties involved in the reclamation effort.
A considerable amount of reclamation related information exists in various formats. It is the intent of the Clearinghouse to pull this information together in a single location, which may be accessed through the World Wide Web. Where possible, we intend to provide direct links from the website to the locations where the data is presently stored. In cases where direct links are not possible, the Clearinghouse will provide directions that will enable the user to find the information.
The site will be regularly maintained to provide up to date information, and as technology progresses, ease of access to existing data.
A detailed outline of the Clearinghouse and a brief description of the initial information to be included follows:
ENGINEERING, GEOLOGIC, AND HYDROLOGIC DATA
1. National Abandoned Lands Information System (NALIS)
This system contains general information on abandoned mine lands, such as site description and location, reclamation cost estimates, and minimal water quality information.
2. Underground Mine Map Repositories
These maps contain information on most of the areas in Pennsylvania, which have been mined by underground methods.
3. Pennsylvania Geologic Survey (PGS)
The PGS maintains a database of regional geologic information for the entire Commonwealth.
4. Overburden Analysis Data
This information exists in an in-house database and contains information about overburden above most coal seams in Pennsylvania.
5. Sample Information System (SIS)
Contains analyses of all water samples collected by our field staff.
6. Orphaned and Abandoned Well Databases
7. Watershed Surveys and Rehabilitation plans
AMD TREATMENT AND ABATEMENT TECHNOLOGY
1. General descriptions of Vertical Flow Systems, Anoxic Limestone Drains,
Man-Made Wetlands, etc.
2. Operational Information ( Special overburden handling, Alkaline addition, Flyash utilization, etc.)
3. Case studies of existing projects.
4. List of publications related to AMD treatment and remediation.
5. Well plugging.
WASTE AND BY-PRODUCT INFORMATION
1. Lists of approved sources of beneficial-use materials/co-products.
2. Link to policy statements and TGDs concerning the use of these materials.
DIRECTORY OF AGENCIES, CITIZEN GROUPS, AND INDIVIDUALS INVOLVED WITH RECLAMATION AND AMD ABATEMENT1. Department Personnel.